Re: IPSEC Security Gateways & NAT

Chris Trobridge wrote:

> This appears to imply that NAT, in general, must be performed before
> encryption.  This is at odds with the models that a number of service
> providers are trying to apply.  Are there any solutions to these problems?
> Or any papers detailing the sort of problems that occur when mixing NAT with
> IPSEC.

There's some discussion, and links to other things, in the FreeS/WAN docs:

http://www.freeswan.org/freeswan_trees/freeswan-1.9/doc/firewall.html#NAT

A new 1.91 version, slightly expanded, should appear within a few days,
when 1.91 is released.

I'm the author and I think that discussion could stand improvement. If
you find good references on this please either post them here or send
me mail about them.