Re: IPSEC Security Gateways & NAT

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure how IKE works in this configuration.  At
least in this method the initiator can be behind a NAT.  It's unclear
how it would work if the responder is behind a NAT.  In the
architecture I described, the initiator is behind a NAT but the
responder is not.

Once an IKE SA is available, the peers must keep the NAT 'live',
mostly by forcing some traffic across the UDP "connection".  The IKE
daemons can just cache the port mappings (it means the responder will
not necessarily see the initiator coming from port 500).

The good thing is that one can multiplex both IKE and ESP onto the
same UDP port pairs.

-derek