RE: IPSEC Security Gateways & NAT

The ISP wants to muck around with the inner addresses to cater for
overlapping address ranges between different sites.

The trouble is that there have been various cases where ISPs have 'solved'
their customer's VPN problem with NAT prior to introducing security.  This
means they've often used NAT to move datagrams over their network, as well
as to avoid overlapping subnets.  I've also seen it used for more esoteric
purposes.

The above illustrates a scenario where the ISP has invested in NAT'ing the
customers addresses.  When the ISP adds encryptors they expect the existing
network to need no change but IPSEC security gateways tunnel and break their
model.  So the ISP will ask "can you use transport mode?", so they can
continue to NAT.  However, I'm not convinced this would work as NAT ALGs
will still not have access to the TCP/UDP payloads for the application-level
NAT.  Even without ALG, this would also require the transport headers to be
passed in clear.

Of course, as the IPSEC SG only needs one external address, there's little
point for NAT on the ISP side anymore.  And the ISP is still required to
provide a transparent solution to the customer but isn't trusted with the
security.

Chris