From: jshukla [mailto:jshukla@earthlink.net]
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2001 11:54 AM
To: Chen, David
Subject: Re: IPSEC Security Gateways & NAT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chen, David" <dchen@ellacoya.com>

> Jayant,
> In the Shukla's draft seems only talking about UDP(inner)->UDP(outer) and
> TCP->TCP mapping.
>
> What to do with other protocols in the IP "protocol" field?

You treat all protocls in the same fashion.

> It seems to me that, to be simple, all we need is
> duplicate (not mapping) the original IP's header for tunneling before

That's what I mean. Except you have to update the length and checksum
fields.

> encrypting
> the inner IP packet.
> Afterward, forward this tunneled IP packet to NAT device(s)
> to reach the peer.

How will the NAT device forward the packet to the peer if
the inner IP header is encrypted. I am assuming you want
to do peer-2-peer IPSec.

We went through all possible configurations, before settling
on the one that we have presented in the draft.

regards,
Jayant