Re: IPSEC Security Gateways & NAT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Trobridge" <CTrobridge@baltimore.com>

> No, it doesn't address the problem.  The problem is that service providers
> (rather than ISPs) have provided NAT-based VPNs without any thought of the
> long-term impact of this on security - and IPSEC in particular.  The
> introduction of IPSEC, in particular, renders 'cheap' NAT solutions
> ineffective and this leaves the SPs in a spot of bother.  Naturally, this
> gets taken out on the security providers ;-).
>
> This is a different problem to the more common one of running NAT on the
> public SG addresses.
>
> The introduction of IPSEC prevents service providers from providing a
> transparent VPN solution (to a group of conflicting networks) because
IPSEC
> prevents them from manipulating the private addresses with NAT.  The best
> (cheapest) solution is to put NAT on the security gateway but this moves
the
> solution away from them and, presumably, some of their revenue - if only
on
> future contracts.  (this is related to the control issue over crypto
> managment, which is something customers appear to want to retain)

What you are looking at is an end-to-end VPN that can
traverse through multiple NATs, right?

> Thanks for your attention anyway.  I wasn't expecting a solution.  I was
> interested to see if anyone would pop up with a proprietary solution but I

We have a solution.

> think it's beyond even that!  Roll on IPv6 and the abandonment of NAT...

Even if you use IPv6, you run into the same problem
when you install a proxy. Can you conclusively say
that you will never need to use proxy in IPv6?

NAT provides a level of protection from outside
scrutiny of your internal network that is very valuable.
I don't know if people will be willing to give up NAT
even when IPv6 is deployed.

regards,
Jayant