Re: [MSEC] Re: mluticast authentication using AH

> > > AH SHOULD HAVE supported authentication with digital signatures.
> >
> >There's nothing, I believe, about AH that prevents digital signatures from
> >being used.
> >
> >The Authentication Data area can be made up to 1016 bytes (just shy of
> >8kbits) per 2402.  That should be plenty of room for a digital signature.
> >
> >Dan
>
> How is this signalled?

It's part of the IPsec Security Association data.  Per 2401, an SA is indexed
by the tuple <AH, SPI, IP destination address>.  When you add the appropriate
SA, you get all sorts of data, including the algorithm.

All one would need to do is write a new "algorithm document" for using a
digital signature with AH.  It shouldn't be tough, and if I had cycles (HAH!)
I could easily prototype one in Solaris.

Dan

Follow-Ups: References: