RE: IPSEC Security Gateways & NAT

Agree with you here. I too can not see why tunneling is required for IKE.
Aggressive-mode or base-mode with non-ip identifiers seems to take care of
this
problem.

Main-mode with certificate is also possible but you have to play tricks like
accepting the SA proposal blindly and waiting till ID payload processing
to actually checking whether the accepted proposal matches policy.

-- sankar --