RE: IPSEC Security Gateways & NAT (3 issues)

The reason the SKEYID derivations differ is because Hugo stated that he did
not think DH alone was strong enough for key agreement. The last time this
issue came up, Hugo suggested changing the key derivation to:

	SKEYID_e = prf(hash(Ni_b | Nr_b), g^xy | CKY-I | CKY-R | 2)

(although he also stated that he still prefers the exiting definition.)

As for removing preshared key mode, here's a good quote from Ari from the
last time this was discussed:

What's the point of removing a feature that:
- is the most interoperable authentication mode in existance
- makes possible the smallest memory footprint implementation possible
- is the most resistant to DoS attacks
???

Yes, it's not really usable in large scale, but that's beside the point.

As for identity protection, we have several identity protection techniques
which all have vulnerabilities. You can use main mode, which is vulnerable
to an active attack. Or you can send a hash of the certificate with the
encryted nonces authentication method, which is vulnerable to a tracking
attack. Or you can use ID_KEY_ID, which is also vulnerable to a tracking
attack. The hybrid/crack approach solves the problem of protecting the
initiator's id, which is usually the important one.

I suggest that those who are ultra-paranoid about tracking attacks get
together and design a protocol for using one-time tokens in the ID_KEY_ID.

Andrew
Upon closer inspection, I saw that the line
dividing black from white was in fact a shade
of grey. As I drew nearer still, the grey area
grew larger. And then I was enlightened.

Follow-Ups: References: