From: owner-ipsec@lists.tislabs.com
[mailto:owner-ipsec@lists.tislabs.com]On Behalf Of Hugo Krawczyk
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 4:22 PM
To: Derek Atkins
Cc: ipsec list
Subject: Re: IPSEC Security Gateways & NAT

Derek, I have not seen Radia's paper so I can't comment on it.
However, what you say here:

> Think about the process this way:
>
> 	1) Compute a key agreement using DH
> 	2) Encrypt the identities in the agreed-upon key
> 	3) Authenticate step 1 (and 2) using the shared secret with the
> 	   peer (now that you know the identity).

is indeed a good explanation of the rationale for the change to pre-shared
mode I suggested in a previous message.
This is why I changed SKEYID_e to depend on g^xy only but left the
HASH_I/R computations to depend on the preshared key (SKEYID)

Hugo

Follow-Ups: References: