RE: IPSEC Security Gateways & NAT (3 issues)

> This is NOT the reason that the SKEYID derivations differ.
> They differ because in three cases (sig, pke, pre-shared) the
> keying material is totally different.
> The differences are not driven by any fancy features (or by
> lack of trust
> in DH), they are ESSENTIAL for security.

Not having been actively involved in the WG at the time this was decided, I
researched this topic in the archives a couple of years ago. My research
disagreed with your claims that the particular SKEYID derivations are
essential for security, so you'll forgive me if I take them with a grain of
salt.

What I remember was more along the line of:

"I'm using <auth method X> and I want to include <variable Y> in the
calculation."

"I'm not using X, so do whatever you want."

You'll excuse me for being skeptical of a so called ESSENTIAL derivation
which appears arbitrary and which is not officially documented anywhere.

Andrew
Upon closer inspection, I saw that the line
dividing black from white was in fact a shade
of grey. As I drew nearer still, the grey area
grew larger. And then I was enlightened.