Re: IPSEC Security Gateways & NAT

"sankar ramamoorthi" <sankar@nexsi.com> writes:

> Is'nt one step missing in the process? That is the responder on receiving
> the
> first message has to check the policy and accept a matching SA proposal.
> The responder needs some way of getting to the policy.

How much policy checking is done as part of Phase I?  Indeed, in
looking at 2409, ALL authentication modes of Phase-I perform the 'IKE
SA Negotiation' in messages 1 and 2 before ANY identifying information
is sent.  Remember that this negotiation is _JUST_ about negotiation
the phase-I encryption/authentation protocols.

So, no, there isn't a step missing, because there is no policy
verification at this step.

> It is either the identifier or ip address of the peer that has to be used as
> the key to get to the policy.
>
> That implies ip address has to be used as the key if identity protection
> is required - right?

No.  Phase-I Main Mode agrees on a protection suite after message 2,
and then you can go back and verify the policy after message 6, but
before you start a Phase-II.

-derek