From: Derek Atkins [mailto:warlord@mit.edu]
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2001 4:51 PM
To: Chen, David
Cc: 'Dan Harkins'; ipsec@lists.tislabs.com
Subject: Re: IPSEC Security Gateways & NAT

"Chen, David" <dchen@ellacoya.com> writes:

> Derek,
>
> For aggress mode, the first message from responder will have the DH-key?

We were talking about Main Mode, not "aggress" [sic] mode.  I don't know
enough about the properties of Aggressive Mode to fully reply, but as
that wasn't the original discussion, I don't think it's apt.  Besides,
any host that is under an attack should back off aggressive mode and
require a "resend with cookie" from any initiator.

> Aslo, if initiator's IP address is meaningfull (without linking to an auth
> method)
> then it may not a good idea let IKE traverse through NAPT devices.

The address isn't meaningful per se.  It's meaningful to meet
the reachability requirement.  All I know from the IP Address
is that if I (responder) receive a valid message 3, then I know
that I've got a reachable IP Address.  In other words, this is
the same IP Address that contacted me with a message 1.

All a NAPT device implies is that there could be any number of
real hosts behind the NAPT device that is the bad guy.  The responder
can't tell, and neither can their network provider.  So, you just
boink the whole network behind the NAPT device.  No big loss.

> Regards,
>
> --- David

-derek