From: Derek Atkins [mailto:warlord@mit.edu]
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2001 1:02 PM
To: Chen, David
Cc: 'Dan Harkins'; ipsec@lists.tislabs.com
Subject: Re: IPSEC Security Gateways & NAT

As I said, this same attack can happen without NAT.  A (non-NAT'ed)
host can send lots of IKE messages from 'random' ports.  However they
have to be listening on each port in order to receive message 2 (with
the responder cookie) and then send off message 3 in order to cause
the responder to do any work.  NAT doesn't change the viability of
this attack.

As I said before, if the responder is being attacked in this way, you
throttle back by IP Address.

-derek