RE: IPSEC Security Gateways & NAT

Derek,

Here is my observation:

In order let IKE packets traverse through NAT,
the responder has to respond udp port number other than 500.
For DOS attacker, he gains more attacking messages from a single address.
In addition, as long as responder drop some real user's IKE messages
(due to the mixing of real and attacked messages and throttling/blocked
 this same SIP of NAT device)
 the DOS attack is successfully denying others valid access to the
responder. (although not as disaster as the responder is brought down).

if no NAT allowed, the responder will only respond to udp port 500,
Furthermore, the responder sure can block (not throttle) the SIP since it
represents only one initiator (and is the attacker)

Since the initiator's IP address could be the only id before DH-key
exchange,
it seems can help to reduce DOS attack?
(by using pre-shared key to auth this ip-address before DH-key exchange)

If this is the case, when traversing trough NAT,
then tunneling IKE by encapsulating yet another UDP is a good method?

Regards,

--- David