Re: IPSEC Security Gateways & NAT

A random nonce can be computed much more quickly than
a hash.

What's "counting N"?

The point about the resource usage is that if you are under
a severe attack, whether or not you have cookies you need to keep
track of state.  The cookies help only against mild attacks.  Even
then, I'd assume any resilient system would be managing resources
carefully, balancing connection state memory against other
memory demands.  Such systems *should* be able to adjust
to mild attacks without noticeable loss of service.

Hilarie

 >>> Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU> 06/26/01 07:59AM >>>
The "extra computation" is really not much more than creating the
cookie itself.  It doesn't have to be encrypted data; it can be a
keyed hash or some other verifiable system.  It's probably just as
much work as running a PRNG to generate a random NONCE for a cookie.
It is certainly much less work than having to keep track of N
message-1 messages sitting around and then seeing if you're under
attack by counting N.

You don't really need to keep track of resource usage; you _can_
choose do so.  However, no, this does not require the same amount
of state as recording all your message-1 state for each initiator.
What's easier, keeping a counter or keeping all the cookie state
from all the initiators?

-derek

PS: I have no objection to an optional stateless cookie round-trip.