Re: [Fwd: Re: P1363: prudent fields]

Composite exponents permit implementation using field
towers and lead to performance advantages.

Hilarie

Hilarie Orman wrote:

 > Given that the groups have no demonstrated mathematical
 > weaknesses

However, enough problems with composite exponents have shown up
that we just got this advice from a wel--known crytographer:

| More generally, we recommend that elliptic curves over GF(2^n)
| where be n is composite be avoided, including elliptic curves
| over GF(2^185).

 > and that they have significant computational performance advantages,

If performance depends only on the size of exponent, then those
groups --  2^155 and 2^185 -- have about the same performance as
the group using 2^163.

 > there appears to be no reason to drop them.

I'd say there's enough doubt that the cautious course would be to
drop them.