Re: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-msec-gkmarch-00.txt]

Andrea
    I respond to your first point in this note.

At 01:40 PM 6/27/2001 -0400, Andrea Colegrove wrote:

>Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 13:30:31 -0400
>From: Andrea Colegrove <acc@columbia.sparta.com>
>To: msec@securemulticast.org
>Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-msec-gkmarch-00.txt
>
>Mark, etal,
>Initial comments on the architecture --
>
>1.  Section 1. --
>>
>>Extensions to IKE, however, are probably the best solution for IPsec
>>protocols over IP multicast services [GDOI].
>The architecture document is not an appropriate place for blatant
>editorialisms.

It is not as you say it is.  I'll ignore the rudeness of this sentence and
focus
on the issue:  It makes no sense to force AH and ESP to select a key management
application based on whether it has a unicast or a multicast destination
address in
the packet it is processing.  One may want to do that, but extensions to
IKE are probably
the best solution for IPsec protocols over IP multicast services.  This is
an architectural
issue for it involves multiple functional blocks (data security protocols
and key
management protocol) , and it is why msec will likely standardize an IKE-based
specification in addition to a something like GSAKMP (at least the key
management
protocol of it once that's separated out).

I'll spare ipsec my comments on the rest of your points and post only to msec.

Mark

Follow-Ups: References: