RE: Is Anyone in the IPsec WG Writing a Draft RFC Using AES CBC M AC for ESP Integrity?

On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Herbert, Howard C wrote:

 > This draft covers AES in CBC mode for ESP confidentiality.
 >
 > I need one on AES in CBC "MAC" mode for ESP integrity.  MAC mode for DES is
 > standardized in FIPS PUB 113.  We need an AES version of this standard.

I would recommend to hold your breath until the NIST has standardised this
mode. The new NIST modes workshop is going to happen at the end of August
(see http://www.nist.gov/modes). CBC MAC is currently not on the list, but
there are a few alternative possibilities.

Moreover, CBC MAC has recently been extended so that it would be secure
for arbitrary message lengths... So that standardising effort might take
more than just writing a draft.

Helger

Follow-Ups: References: