RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipsec-udp-encaps-00.txt

I think that if the ID states that a peer MAY send keepalives for N minutes
with a default of 5 minutes that many implementers will always send
keepalives for 5 minutes.  I don't think this is such a good idea.
Asking/requiring clients to keep track of TCP connection state isn't such a
good idea either (it should be recommended though - gateways will usually
already have this capacity).

As a tradeoff recommendation how about something like:

A peer SHOULD send a NAT-keepalive packet while there is an IKE or IPsec SA
in place if a need to send such packets is detected according to [Kiv00] and
if no other packet to the peer has been sent in M seconds.  M is a locally
configurable parameter with a default value of 20 seconds.

A peer MAY continue to send NAT-keepalive packets every M seconds while
there exists open TCP connections between the systems.  As an alternative to
maintaining state for TCP connections for this purpose a peer MAY continue
to send NAT-keepalive packets every M seconds for up to N minutes after the
last active IPsec traffic was processed even when the last IKE and IPsec SA
between the peers has been deleted.  This means that if a VPN session has
been idle for more than N minutes when the last SA between the systems is
deleted then no more keepalives are sent.  N is a locally configurable
parameter with a default value of 5 minutes.

With this wording implementers are less likely to continue sending keepalive
packets for 5 minutes after each and every VPN session is torn down.  I'm
assuming here that the N minutes linger period was a tradeoff between
maintaining lots of state vs. potentially breaking upper layer connections.

-dave