Re: Man in the middle attack (draft-kaufman-ipsec-improveike-00.txt)?

Yes. A man-in-the-middle can discover Alice's identity. He can't
finish the protocol, as you pointed out, so the only thing he can
do is discover Alice's identity.

There's no way around this with just using a pre-shared secret between
Alice and Bob. Our suggested revised protocol is stronger than
the current one. In the current one, Alice's identity is exposed even
to a passive attacker...in the main mode, her identity has to be her
IP address, which is in the IP header. In aggressive mode, it's sent
unencrypted. In the suggested revised protocol, Alice's identity is
hidden from passive attackers, but an active attacker will be able
to find her identity, but will not be able to do anything more that
just discover who is attempt to connect to Bob.

If you really want to hide Alice's identity from an active attacker and
use a pre-shared Alice-Bob key, I can think of two complication-inducing
methods (and I don't like complication-inducing things).

1) have an additional secret key that Bob shares with all legitimate
Bob-clients. This was similar to what we had at Digital where there
was a single building-wide secret that we needed in order to dial into the
terminal server, and then a personal password after that. Each month
all employees were told the new building-wide secret. Applying
this technique to IKE, messages
5 and 6 could be encrypted in a function of the group secret, so only
an active attacker that knew the group secret could discover Alice's
identity.

2) Bob could have a public key, and Alice could send her identity
encrypted with his public key.

But I'd recommend just living with the fact that an active attacker will
be able to discover Alice's identity.

Radia