Re: I-D ACTION:draft-kaufman-ipsec-improveike-00.txt

> >>	about the section 7,
> >>	"the protocol already assures that.." sounds strange.
> >>	because Bob can prove that Alice has the shared secret only after
> >>	he has decrypted the 5th message, and has verified the HASH.
> >>	of course, in the main mode, Bob would be damaged by Alice until
> >>	decrypting 5th message even if the new approach wasn't adopted.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand your comment. Perhaps you're saying that
> Bob has to do expensive computation before knowing that it's Alice?

Yes, I am.

> But as you said, whatever issue you're discussing is also true in
> the old approach.

True.  so I just say not "already", but "the protocol assures that"

> >>	but in the case of the road warrior, the responder cannot decide
> >>	the SA parameter to be used from the initiator's proposal.  because
> >>	the responder cannot compare with the one's policy database.
> If the responder knows the initiator by her name, and not her IP address,
> then the policy database would have an entry for her name. Or, even
> if the initiator is known by a name, there might be other policy in
> addition to policy according to her name, invoked
> according to the IP address from which she's initiating contact.

it must be correct in phase 2.  but her name is in identify payload,
isn't it ?  so Bob cannot decide the parameter of phase1 SA because
her identity hasn't been passed to Bob when he consults his database.

> >>	in section 8,
> >>	why is it preferable for you to hide Alice(i'm assuming the responder)'s

i was mistaken, i meant Alice was the initiator.

> >>	identity ?  i think there are too many case when the attacker is a
> >>	initiator.  or is my assamption incorrect ?
> We meant it's preferable to hide the INITIATOR's identity rather than
> the responder. The responder is more likely at a fixed address. One could
> imagine a web-site that was politically frowned upon by the initiator's
> government. The government could impersonate that web site and see who
> is attempting to connect. But it seems less likely that the responder's
> IP address would be well-known, and someone would attempt to connect
> for the sole purpose of discovering who is sitting at that address.

agreed.

to make sure, i though you meant msg6 into msg4 WITHOUT any encryption
because msg4 in RFC2409 is not encrypted.  i must be wrong.

> I certainly don't feel as strongly about this as about getting
> rid of 3/4 of the variants by removing public key encryption variants
> and aggressive mode, and fixing shared key to allow arbitrary identities.

agreed.

thank you.