DEFLATE, ZLIB and RFC1951

In the description of DEFLATE in RFC1951 it states that the compressed data
is in the form of a sequence of blocks, where each block has a 3-bit header
consisting of a BFINAL bit and a BTYPE bit-pair.  The BFINAL bit identifies
the last block of the sequence and the BTYPE pair indicates whether the
block is either non-compressed, compressed with fixed huffman codes, or
compressed with dynamic huffman codes.

My question is how these bits should be handled when using ZLIB?

I can't find any explicit mention of these bits in the ZLIB documentation
and, after playing around with ZLIB (using the python module), it seems that
it does not produce/understand these bits.

Is this correct (and they have to be handled external to ZLIB), or am I
misunderstanding something here?

Any help would be appreciated,
Paul(o)