RE: More MODP Diffie-Hellman groups for IKE

A cryptographer had told me that with the larger MODP DH groups (2048 and
higher) that it would be advantageous if the least and most significant
128-bits were set to 1's.

Cons:
CPU time required to generate and validate new primes
People who have already implemented the drafts would have to change their
implementations
Less random bits in the primes
The format would change slightly compared to the smaller primes

Pros:
Large word processors could take advantage of certain performance improving
optimizations
Primes still contain more random bits than the smaller primes
Since the DOI numbers haven't been assigned yet people will have to change
their code anyways
Future advances in CPU architecture might make the optimizations available
to general purpose CPUs
Special purpose DH acceleration cards might take advantage of the
optimizations
Decision would be made based on a cryptographic basis rather than format
looks

Are there any cryptographers out there listening that could comment on the
classical remainder algorithm and the Montgomery-style remainder algorithms
and how much of an advantage the trial quotient digit always taken as the
high order word of the dividend and the multiplier digit always taken to be
the low order word of the dividend is?  I'm guessing that all that is
required to take advantage of these optimizations is the ability to perform
64-bit integer operations with a 128-bit result (but it could be 128-bit
operations with a 256-bit result).  Either way I think it is important to
take a forward looking approach on this matter.  These larger DH groups are
really going to slow down the key exchange so any optimization that can be
found should be taken advantage of.

-dave