RE: IPSec performance statistics

Based on your figure 3 and using the 3DES costs from Antoon
Bosselaers URL at http://www.esat.kuleuven.ac.be/~bosselae/fast.html,
I get the following per byte cycle costs on a Pentium.

     IP-Only about 5 cycles/byte
     IPSec w/o crypto about +6 cycles/byte
     HMAC-SHA-1-96 about +13 cycles/byte
     3DES about +14 to +15 cycles/byte (from Bosselaers url)
     --------------------------------------
     Total IPSEC w/SHA1 & 3DES is about 38 to 39 cycles/byte.

So I should see almost an order of magnitude (about 1/8) slow down
when IPSec is used between two hosts versus when just ordinary IP
is running.  Does this correlate with what people are seeing in
actual IPSec deployments?  Or is everyone only using hardware to
get around this problem (but introducing other problems like extra
cost and deployment issues).

Does anyone have metrics for SA setup costs, with and without IKE?
I've seen claims of about 1 setup (w/out IKE?) per second in hardware.
Any metrics for Pentium class PC's?

- Alex

--

Alex Alten