Re: Position statement on IKE development

After just reading the papers by Meadows, Schneier/Ferguson and
Simpson, I now have serious doubts that IPsec delivers the security
required by the Internet community.

This is a very serious issue.

To make a mistake of this caliber when so many firms have committed
large amounts of resources for software, board, ASIC and chip designs,
implementations and manufactures is a terrible thing.

I agree with Schneier & Ferguson. A security protocol/system cannot be
designed by a large committee, unlike many other successful insecure
protocols. Their suggestion to use a process like NIST's for selecting
the AES standard is an excellent one. It's a pity they did not suggest
it a decade ago. However it should be considered seriously not only
for the replacement of IKE, but possibly also for the modification or
simplification of the entire IPsec protocol suite. (I hesitate to say
the replacement of IPSEC given the tremendous repercussions of doing
so.)

- Alex

--

Alex Alten