RE: IKE must have no Heirs

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Horn, Mike wrote:
> I think users will only deploy Son of IKE if it solves all the open
> requirements, not if it just simplifies IKE and adds a single feature like
> NAT traversal.  There seems to be a big rift between what the IPSEC and
> IPSRA WGs are doing, and what the vendors are doing on their own.

The intent, as I understand it, is not that Son of IKE solve all mankind's
problems (or even all of IPsec's), but rather that it solve some of
*IKE's* current problems, and be a more tractable (smaller and more
readily understood) base for future work.  It's the first step, not the
last one.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@spsystems.net