RE: Simplifying IKE

There is always TOS.  Packet length, even?

How can you use the SPI to sort traffic?  This assumes the access router
knows which SPI corresponds to which traffic.

Actually classifying traffic after applying ESP is a major hasssle for ISPs.
OTOH, they don't often understand the security consequences of leaking the
sort of info classification uses - which is often into the application
layer!

Chris

> > I'd also like to see all IPSEC traffic between two hosts
> carried by just one
> > SA.  I can't see any value in using multiple SAs between to
> hosts.  IPSEC
>
> there is. and it's not related to security at all.
>
> suppose you have slow internet connection that is used only for VPN
> traffic. your access router has no way to distinguish between
> different
> sessions inside your VPN so it will put all the packets into
> same queue.
> if somebody is moving large file using ftp your telnet
> connection will be
> very very slow.
>
> without encryption the routers will put packets from separate sessions
> (defined by src&dst IP, protocol and ports) into seprate queues (cisco
> calls them classes IIRC) and even if you are downloading some
> huge file
> your telnet session is still usable.
>
> with encryption the SPI is the only parameter that can be
> used to classify
> the packets. if you are using a single SA between two hosts it's
> impossible for routers to distinguish between packets from different
> sessions and the interactive applications suffer really bad.
>
> arne

The information contained in this message is confidential and is intended
for the addressee(s) only.  If you have received this message in error or
there are any problems please notify the originator immediately.  The
unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is
strictly forbidden. Baltimore Technologies plc will not be liable for direct,
special, indirect or consequential damages arising from alteration of the
contents of this message by a third party or as a result of any virus being
passed on.

In addition, certain Marketing collateral may be added from time to time to
promote Baltimore Technologies products, services, Global e-Security or
appearance at trade shows and conferences.

computer viruses.