Re: Simplifying IKE

Hi Joe,

Please look a little closer, all my comments are prefaced by "STEVE:"  I
cut the other sections from Sandy's original e-mail.  I have no problems
with including NULL mode, but what I don't want to see is a situation where
we are using ESP for one thing on a packet and AH for another, simply for
what I perceive as political reasons.  I'd much prefer to use a single
protocol and simplify our efforts.

Take Care,

Steve

                    Joe Touch
                    <touch@ISI.ED        To:     Steve.Robinson@psti.com
                    U>                   cc:     Sandy Harris <sandy@storm.ca>, ipsec@lists.tislabs.com,
                                         owner-ipsec@lists.tislabs.com
                    08/08/01             Subject:     Re: Simplifying IKE
                    08:56 AM

Steve.Robinson@psti.com wrote:

> A few comments:
>
> 2a: eliminate ESP authentication
> 3a: require AH on all packets. No choice, no null mode. An IPsec
connection
>        authenticates all packets, period.

Null mode is useful, if only for debugging and performance measurement.

Jor