Re: Simplifying IKE

On Wed, 08 Aug 2001 13:31:43 PDT you wrote

Nothing. That's the whole idea.

> Will the ipsec packet from initiator be processed since responder has
> established the SA on receipt of the second message? If so, can the
> responder treat succesful processing of the data packet as succesful
> authentication of the initiator and mark the SA as valid(basically
> treat the condition same as processing a successful third message).

I prefer not to make such a linkage (between the IPsec processing engine
and the key management system) since there is still a message that IKE must
process and receipt of that message will dictate whether the SAs stay
or go.

> Personally I prefer a 4 packet exchange model for QM.

What shortcoming in the scheme I described is solved with a 4 packet
exchange?

  Dan.

Follow-Ups: References: