RE: Simplifying IKE

>   In addition to this text there is [...]
> new text instructing the
> Initiator
> to hold on to the 3rd phase 2 message for some
> COMFORT_LEVEL_TIME in case
> it is dropped and he receives a retransmitted 2nd message from the
> Responder.
>
>   This is much simpler than what we have and solves the race problem.
> What it does, though, is allow for some resources to be temporarily
> consumed due to the replay of an old message. I don't view
> this as that
> big of a problem though since it is temporary (RETRANSMIT_TIME *
> RETRANSMIT_TIMER_LIMIT = total seconds these bogus SAs would stay in
> the SADB) and the number of possible packets that can be replayed is
> limited and bounded by the life of the IKE SA.

This is in fact what my implementation has been doing for quite some time. I
had never thought that this "new behaviour" was disallowed by the existing
RFCs. It seemed like the logical thing to do... But as I pointed out in
another message, the replay problem should still be quenched at the source
by providing a counter.

Andrew
Upon closer inspection, I saw that the line
dividing black from white was in fact a shade
of grey. As I drew nearer still, the grey area
grew larger. And then I was enlightened.