Re: Simplifying IKE

Another advantage for adopting a 2-message exchange is large-delay
satellite links.  In particular, consumer satellite broadband
companies, such as Starband and other companies on the horizon, are
using GEO satellites which have a substantial delay of > ~500ms RTT,
just to get across the satellite link.  Note, thatdoesn't necessarily
include RTT time from the ground-station through the terrestrial
Internet to the ultimate destination.

Also, Dan, have you defined and/or suggested a value of the
RETRANSMIT_TIMER_LIMIT?  I would suggest that it has to either: a) be
hard-coded relatively high to accomodate large-delay
satellite/cellular links; or, b) be set at some reasonable default,
but optionally configurable by the end-user so they may set it higher
or lower depending on their particular application.

Does this sound reasonable?

-shane