Re: Simplifying IKE

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

> > Ari Huttunen writes:
> >  > Thus my preference would be to have a four packet phase 1 (base mode) and
> >  > a four packet quick mode.
> >
> >    Gad. Doesn't anybody care about link up times???
>
> Smooshing phase 1 and phase 2 together begins to look very attractive
> when quick mode isn't very (quick).

In the above example it's still half of a full exchange. I find that
acceptable for some applications (by no means all).

If you want faster setup times, we'll need another protocol (or use KINK and
install kerberos; depends on your customers' needs).

jan
 --
Jan Vilhuber                                            vilhuber@cisco.com
Cisco Systems, San Jose                                     (408) 527-0847