RE: Position of certificate payload in IKE Aggressive Mode as Initiator

One of the things I talked about in my improveike presentation was
simplifying parsing by restricting the messages in which certain payloads
can appear. I specifically mentioned certreq and vendorid, but I would
suggest that this be applied to the certificate payload as well.

Let me put it this way:

If you put the certificate in the 3rd message, EVERYONE will handle it.
If you put the certificate in the 1st message, many people WILL NOT handle
it, and even if they do, you are relying on mostly untested code.

Andrew
Upon closer inspection, I saw that the line
dividing black from white was in fact a shade
of grey. As I drew nearer still, the grey area
grew larger. And then I was enlightened.