Re: Simplifying IKE

  No, the main purpose of quick mode was to be able to amortize the
cost of authentication over many SAs. Different SAs can be established
to protect different flows as specified by different selectors without
having to reauthenticate every time. And SAs for a particular flow can
expire and be reestablished, again, without having to reauthenticate.

  You may not like PFS but it has been a continued requirement in this
working group. That is why the SKIP folks had to come up an optional
PFS extention. (It is worthwhile to look back at how that Simple protocol
became exceedingly complex-- components at IP, ICMP, and UDP, a PFS
extension, an algorithm discovery extension, a certificate discovery
extension-- in its attempt to satify the requirements from this working
group).

  What is "normal" depends on perspective (as well as hardware
acceleration I guess). The Evil Kirk thought it was perfectly normal for
Spock to have a goatee.

  Dan.

On Sun, 12 Aug 2001 10:04:52 BST you wrote

Follow-Ups: References: