RE: Simplifying IKE

I think the extreme position is that what IPSEC does best is:

i) Establishing keys between two known entities (IKE).
ii) Allowing those entities to pass datagram payloads securely between them
by providing encryption, authentication and anti-replay defenses.

It also provides some tunnelling (VPN) and firewall services that are
inferior to the free-standing implementations.  IPSEC does not facilitate
resilient routing and you're still likely to need a firewall in addition to
IPSEC.

People have suggested and, I think, implemented stacks where the IPSEC
tunnels are treated as interfaces and hence can be accomodated by routing
protocols.  This also allow a firewall (integrated in the same stack) to
make decisions based on the IPSEC tunnel.

This would allow the IPSEC, routing protocols and firewalls to concentrate
on what they do best.

Of course, there would be still a problem of configuring all this securely.

This has been discussed here before but, as usual, the discussion flared up
and died away without any sort of concensus.

As an aside, is there a 'standard' way for an application to request a
specific IPSEC policy for its traffic?

Chris

The information contained in this message is confidential and is intended
for the addressee(s) only.  If you have received this message in error or
there are any problems please notify the originator immediately.  The
unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is
strictly forbidden. Baltimore Technologies plc will not be liable for direct,
special, indirect or consequential damages arising from alteration of the
contents of this message by a third party or as a result of any virus being
passed on.

In addition, certain Marketing collateral may be added from time to time to
promote Baltimore Technologies products, services, Global e-Security or
appearance at trade shows and conferences.

computer viruses.