RE: IKE must have no Heirs

Steve,

	The fact that IPSEC has only gained widespread acceptance in the VPN
market and is not being employed for its intended purpose, the fact that
five years after the event the group is under an IESG injunction to get its
act together suggest to me that those who were immediately responsible for
the current situation should not be so openly contemptious and dismissive of
those who might have useful ideas on how to remedy the current situation.

	I do not much care for the history of the internal politics of any
IETF group, let alone the personal campaign stories of the combatants in the
IKE vs SKIP wars. Nor for that matter am I as you suggest 'fond of SKIP',
rather I have an aversion to a specification that introduces nine separate
protocols for performing a simple key exchange.

		Phill

Phillip Hallam-Baker FBCS C.Eng.
Principal Scientist
VeriSign Inc.