Re: [Design] Re: Wes Hardaker: opportunistic encryption deployment problems

Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com> writes:

> We disagree on the merits of opportunistic encryption. For most
> organizations, the primary threat is one of unauthorized access, not
> massive passive wiretapping of Internet traffic. Thus encrypting lost
> of traffic, without providing accompanying access controls, might
> cause more harm (in the access control dimension) than good, e.g., by
> making it harder to perform intrusion detection, trace attacks, etc.
> However, to the extent that FreeS/WAN tries to address a concern to a
> user community that has a different threat model, one that is more
> focused on big brother than on hackers, I don't argue with your
> approach.

This is certainly not MY memory from Cambridge '92, when the concept
of IPsec was to provide encryption technology at the network layer for
all connections on the Internet.  A side effect of the goal was
endpoint authentication.  Adding access control came even later.

> Steve

-derek