Re: Require AH?

At 9:17 AM -0700 8/16/01, Michael Thomas wrote:
>Stephen Kent writes:
>  > At 7:44 AM -0700 8/15/01, Michael Thomas wrote:
>  > >    Actually, what would make me most happy would be to
>  > >    have a single IPsec extension header which does
>  > >    *everything*. This helps on the code/message
>  > >    compactness front, as well as simplifying the
>  > >    number of SADB entries, different protocols
>  > >    handling, header traversal, etc. It seems to me
>  > >    that if we had modes like gzip-aes-cbc-sha1 for
>  > >    ESP transforms, we could get rid of both AH and
>  > >    IPCOMP.
>  > >
>  > >		Mike
>  >
>  > This has been suggested before, and rejected. In large part AH is
>  > ugly because it tries to cover the IP header, but there are so many
>  > fields that cannot be covered. this makes processing slower than ESP
>  > auth only. tunnel mode of auth only ESP addresses essentially all of
>  > the IPv4 motivations for having AH. The only open question is what
>  > IPv6 requirements are met by AH and not by this mode.
>  >
>  > So, if we don't find a really good reason to retain AH, there is no
>  > good reason to create a new, different protocol to accommodate this
>  > combination of features. Also, this sort of new protocol would be
>  > more complex than either AH or ESP alone, which raises questions
>  > about whether we have achieved anything.  One can argue that two
>  > protocols, each of which is relatively simple, are better than one
>  > protocol that is more complex.
>
>    There's quite a bit of complexity added by the
>    addition and processing of multiple headers, both
>    on the keying front and the kernel tasks. Interaction
>    between the modes/headers requires a lot of explanation in
>    2401, for example, and is frankly pretty confusing.
>    To my simple mind a single header and a single
>    transform of, say, compress-encrypt-hash would be
>    a lot more straighforward both on the understanding
>    and coding parts. As is right now, there are many
>    different ways to do the same thing, and it's possible
>    to get into non-sensical combinations such as compression
>    after encryption (even if the spec proscribes it).

If we do away with AH, then this discussion is moot re AH+ESP. In the
early days of deployment, I saw folks doing both AH+ESP, but today I
think this is rarely the case, i.e., most traffic is just ESP (auth +
encrypt). As noted earlier, the most credible requirement for AH
seems to be an IPv6 mobility one. if I understand this requirement
correctly, one would have to employ different keys for encryption and
endpoint integrity/authentication vs. intermediate node
authentication, assuming a desire for normal e-t-e security as well,
and this  would make for a pretty complex individual protocol and a
matching, complex key management activity.

>    Clearly, you could do such a bone headed thing with
>    a single spec, but right now you have to look and
>    understand many RFC's to grasp that proscription.
>    I doubt this is the only example. Also the degrees
>    of freedom afforded by multiple headers introduce
>    their own level of interoperability problems. An
>    implementation may very well, for example, have a
>    nice modular way of plugging in new crypto algorithms,
>    where it would be relatively simple to add a new
>    transform which, say, does aes/lzw. Adding IPCOMP,
>    however, has to be integrated into all of the
>    places that ESP was integrated. In my mind, that's
>    a false modularity since it leads to duplicated
>    processing (and the resultant possibility for
>    mistakes) with no substantive differention of
>    the code other than that of the gratuitous
>    design-by-committee kind.

the decision to make compression separate from encryption was one
that this WG, and the security ADs, made a long time ago. modularity
does have a price, as you noted, but it's a price we have often
elected to accept in Internet protocols.

Steve

Follow-Ups: References: