RE: Simplifying IKE

At 8:35 AM +0100 8/16/01, Chris Trobridge wrote:
> [...]

yes, it can, so long as the SA tagging is maintained on received
packets after they exit IPsec processing.

>  > >As an aside, is there a 'standard' way for an application to
>>  request a
>>  >specific IPSEC policy for its traffic?
>>
>>  No. APIs for IPsec have not been standardized.
>
>I think this might be one of the reasons why IPSEC hasn't taken off so
>widely.  I wouldn't know how to create a socket with a particular IPSEC
>policy.
>
>SSL managed to fit much better into applications and is widely used - even
>if some of the fundamentals are not as strong (which also helped it...).

SSL is implemented above TCP, and thus outside the OS, and that makes
it easier for applications to link in and use it. The prominent use
of SSL, from a deployment standpoint, also arises because it comes
for free in the two main browsers that are available in essentially
all user computers. Finally, web access that is SSL protected is a
tiny fraction of all web access, and the encryption (and one-way
authentication) it provides are often more for show than for
substance. You cite the lack of an IPsec API as a hindrance, but
what's the API provided by SSL for applications?

Steve