RE: Simplifying IKE

> Andrew,
>
> You've been using sloppy terminology again ;-)

Or rather, the IKE RFC uses sloppy terminology and I was just repeating it.
I thought it was clear from the earlier messages in this thread that I meant
PFS as defined in IKE and not PFS in general.

> IKE always provides PFS in phase 1 with a "scope" of that PFS being
> the IKE SA and all IPsec SA's derived from it; you get the benefit of
> PFS for old keys once the IKE SA's shared secret is destroyed *and*
> all the IPsec SA's derived from it are destroyed.
>
> IKE optionally *also* provides PFS in phase 2 with per-IPsec-SA scope.
>
> The value of phase-2 PFS is extremely low in typical IKE
> configurations where the IPsec SA's live as long as or longer than the
> IKE SA.

Yes, that's my point (or most of it anyway).

Andrew
Upon closer inspection, I saw that the line
dividing black from white was in fact a shade
of grey. As I drew nearer still, the grey area
grew larger. And then I was enlightened.