Re: [Design] Re: Wes Hardaker: opportunistic encryption deployment problems

    Robert> At 02:13 AM 8/8/2001 -0700, Bill Manning wrote:

    >> % We chose TXT because we simply wanted to convey a gateway address and a
    >> % key, and we wanted to parse it with 10 lines of code, not 10,000.
    >>
    >> $DEITY help you when you grab a random TXT record... :)

    Robert> What about the OPT record?

    Robert> RFC 2671

    Robert> Then you get IANA to assign an OPT attribute.

  As Henry pointed out, they are not be stored in files:

RFC2671 says:
>4.1. One OPT pseudo-RR can be added to the additional data section of
>     either a request or a response.  An OPT is called a pseudo-RR
>     because it pertains to a particular transport level message and not
>     to any actual DNS data.  OPT RRs shall never be CACHED, FORWARDED,
>     OR STORED IN OR LOADED FROM MASTER FILES.  The quantity of OPT
>     pseudo-RRs per message shall be either zero or one, but not
>     greater.

  I'm not entirely clear how one could use OPT RRs given that one can not
load them, forward them or cache them. It seems to be a way to insert session
layer information. To make an analogy, more akin to IP options than OIDs.

    Robert> But clearly, check out CERT first.

  There are several options here:
	1) ask for one IANA type between 0x100 and 0xFF00.
	   type "A" would be for a raw RSA key, replacing the basic TXT
	   record we currently use for authorization.

	2) use a SPKI certificate instead.

	3) use a URI-based private certificate type.

  Option 1 would require that this document or a future one ask for this.

  Option 2 would require introduction of new code to process SPKI into
	 where there was no previous need for SPKI in an implementation.

  Option 3 is the simplest as we just need to establish a stable URI to
	 designate our usage. Probably "ftp://ftp.ietf.org/rfc/rfcXXXX.txt"
	 (where XXXX is the assigned number) is the most obvious one.

  A variation of option 1 is to write a document asking for a KeyNote option
and include that. That would probably get more support than option 2.

  Proceedurally there are two options:
	1) include this request in this document. This would make the
	   document more than "Informational" as it would not describe an
	   existing system.

	2) keep this and use it in a second document that might include other
	   changes.

  The goal of this document is an Informational RFC, so I prefer #1.