Re: Bakeoff summary

>Unfortunately, I don't think we arranged for anyone
>to take the minutes of the meeting (if anyone did
>take notes, please post!). However, at least the
>following was discussed:

	mostly this is the copy of the slides, but anyway, better than nothing.

itojun

-- BEGIN included message

what people have tested
what went well, what went not going so well
if not, spec problem or implementation problem
bakeoff organization

what's new? what's tested?

N x NAT traversal
N x AES
N x IPv6
cert management: SCEP OCSP CMP?
new DH groups
new implementations (cellphones, new vendors)
hybrid auth, xauth
hub-and-spoke VPNs
multiple trusted roots, cert chains, subordinate certs, PKCS#7
oppotunitistic encryption?  two vendors

what works well?

ipsec
sha1, 3des
ike with preshared keys
ike with rsa sig certs
aes - some issues in phase 1, still
rekey
with established vendors, no problems in testing
v4 fragmentation
basic ipv6 cases

problem areas

ipsec
ipcomp - some problems?
	minor fragmentation issues
	diff between ike spec and ipcomp spec - encapsulation mode
rekey - a couple of problems
ike
	aes key length attributes - phase 1 optional, phase 2 mandatory
	slow new dh group calc cause timeouts
	delete messages
		some vendors do not send them - spec unclear?
	if xauth phase 1.5 falls, torn down phase 1?
		should not tear down ??. - in the draft.
	if don't support all xauth attrs, turn down the whole thing?
	retransmission and long rtt problems in some people's ike state mechanisms
cert
	many smaller problems
	cr warss: when to send and what to inlcude
	also, is the whole chain sent or not
	problems in certain fields, eg identity fqdn vs ip-addrs
	cr with null cert authority - send multiple certs, some implementations can't cope with this
	enrollment:scep ra/ca certificate chain - use of all cert; ca certificates might not have the key encipherment bit set
	correct ordering of relative distinguished name encodings - x509 vs ldap
	not much testing of revokation
	certificate hierarchy and multiple ca troubles

	scep - quite many (10+?).
nat traversal
	packet fragmentation problems with esp-udp - implementation issue?
	early phase of test.
ipv6
	certs with ipv6 identities
	neighbor discovery to work with ipsec
	missing combinations (v6 inside v4)
	many types of ipv6 addrs
	source addr selection
	link local adddresses
	fragmentation - implementation?
	some ipv6 connectivity setup problems
configuration problems
	from "no" to "lots", opinion varies
specification problems
	keepalives, how to solve? - no spec.
		what kind of problem you are trying to solve?

		if you don't have failover, you just need to have a way to recover from loss of traffic (old draft by sommerfeld)
		failover solves routing problem.. ???
	some interpretations on nat traversal
	aes key length proposals - send or not
	use of default lifetimes, if other type provided
		lifetime should never been a part of the protocol - hugh
		sending lifetime helps rekey sometimes
		if initiate/response relationship is not bidir, need lifetime?
		lifetime helps.
		rekey without lifetime...  you don't always want to rekey.
		if you don't have lifetime, keys will stay forever and is not secure.  you don't know how long sas will be alive, and you don't know how to kill it.
		if the peer ignores the lifetime value, you lose.

		discussion, discussion...
implementation problems
	some: lifetimes, ike, proposal numbers, too many unnecessary hcecks, CRL content formats
disjoint opitons problem
	not many people have AES
	not many people have large DH groups
	somebody wan't able to turn PFS off
	different st of id types (DN vs email)
	clean vs abrupt tunnel close
	not many support IPv6
	address-only SPD
	some people require certs
	certificate encodings
	3des, sha1, v4 are well supported

	let us remove 1des from spec.  any objections?
	restrictive countries.  i have no choice.
	deprecate it in the spec, keep the codepoint, try to discourage 1des new implementation.
	some lowend devices still need des.  still sometimes need to implement.  may make sense to keep it

registration
	generally good feedback
	additional information had to be requested by some (how much power available etc)
	map to the site would have been useful
general
	good feedback
	uphill walk from the hotel in the morning
	some didn't bring all equipment, used over network - maybe good thing
	less people than last time - economic, location?
	where are the ca vendors?
	busy people, not much time to test
	good food
	some time zone problems with crews back home
	security guards?

network
	generally good feedback
	wanted to see net/vendor/implementation info before event
	web site was a bit slow
	network problems at start
	too many steps for adding machines, interfaces, etc
	we need a NAT
	more realistic test environments - delay drop capacity
	ipv6 worked great
	ipv6 has other apps than ping6?
	wlan was great
	firewall would have been nice
	regular phones or more mobile phones
	dns setup very useful

	routable address to behind the gw
	NTP would be (was?) good

	we keep intranet webpage for a while.

furture bakeoffs?
	yes
	maybe more participants if in the US
	system for testing over the network?
		VPNC did something like this.
test what?
	whatever gets implemented
	advanced cert things: enrollment, ocsp
	nat traversal
	dhcp
	aes
	opportunistic encryption
	maybe "ipsec and pki" bakeoff to attract more CA vendors
	new DH groups
	son-of-ike

	outside of the US to host?
	if outside of US, no anita, too bad.