From: William Dixon [mailto:wdixon@windows.microsoft.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2001 8:11 PM
To: jshukla; ipsec@lists.tislabs.com; Ari Huttunen
Subject: Ipsec load balancing devices - UDP-ESP impact

Jayant, I've checked around on the popular load balancing product web
sites.  But the details are often not avail, or buried in technical docs
that require a customer account to access.

Does anyone know of any products that do NAT or "VLAN" translation and
specifically provide mapping support for IPSec "sessions", that is,
devices that aren't already IPSec gateways and terminating IPSec before
they do NAT ?

I'd like to know if they do something more than maintain source IP-based
mappings, like cookie-pair-SPI tracking or something.

In any case, combining IKE & ESP in the same UDP port 500 encapsulation
makes the take easier by having to track only one UDP src/dst pair - vs.
IPSec ESP inbound and outbound SPIs, in addition to the IKE traffic, or
in addition to another critically related UDP src/dst port pair carrying
ESP.

Wm
William Dixon
Program Manager - Network Security, IPSec
Windows Networking