From: Dan Harkins [mailto:dharkins@lounge.org]
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2001 12:59 PM
To: Jay Ratford
Cc: 'jshukla'; William Dixon; ipsec@lists.tislabs.com; Ari Huttunen
Subject: Re: Ipsec load balancing devices - UDP-ESP impact

  Actually you're not. There's another vendor out there that does
dynamic load balancing and active session failover of IPsec and IKE
SAs-- fully meshed if so configured-- as well as PPTP and L2TP tunnels
and BGP,
OSPF, and RIP. (It was a great day when I failed the box who was
currently assigned the workload of sucking down a full Internet routing
table via BGP and watched the entire session-- including all the routing
state and the TCP state-- failover to another node without a hitch).
It's subsecond failover too and beat the crap out of the competition in
a trade rag's head-to-head comparison. And it's not just between "2
active devices", the size of the cluster can be 2, 3, 4 or more and
adding nodes gives you a non-linear increase in performance (that
eventually tapers off).

  This vendor has had this capability for around three years. I won't
mention who it is because for some strange reason they don't advertise
this expertise.

  Dan.

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 09:54:51 PDT you wrote