From: jshukla [mailto:jshukla@earthlink.net]
Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2001 11:50 AM
To: Marc Solsona-Palomar; Dan Harkins
Cc: Jay Ratford; 'William Dixon'; ipsec@lists.tislabs.com; Ari Huttunen
Subject: Re: Ipsec load balancing devices - UDP-ESP impact

Your solution is based on sharing SAs and
session keys between node, right?! I thought
that was a big no no.

=>the participating nodes in the cluster can remain as a close set,
though sharing
keys/SAs can potentially expose it to any security threat, it is not
necessary
true I think. would you further detail on the threat models on the
cluster?

Secondly, what I gather from the one paragraph
blurb that I found on IP-clustering on your web
site is that it is a layer-2 solution. You use
Ethernet multicast, unicast, and forwarding.
In unicast same Ethernet address is used by
all ports according to the article. That means
all nodes get the same packet. The situation
is same in multicast and all nodes receive all
packets. So every node is processing the
packet?! Doesn't seem like this is what one
should be doing.
=>This architecture can have a few benefits, i.e. same IP identity for
all nodes,
"hot swap" so there is no interrupt, easier convergence if there is
failure.
Every node is processing the packet to some extent, but based on a good
port/filtering
rules, early drop can be deployed, similiar in handling a DoS attack :)

The last case, is forwarding. Here only one
node gets the packet. This is real load balancing.
However, a layer 2 solution is something that
I find hard to digest.
=> Why not if it has advantage, do you have any technical info regarding
the layer 3 approach? I am quite interested as well

Another question, when you have to debug/maintain
a node, won't you have to disconnect it from the cluster
as all nodes are sharing the same IP address?
=>This is not true, i guess the cluster should be able to allow you
disconnect any one of
the node and still have the sessions be offloaded to available others