Date: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 06:01:21 AM
Subject: Re: inbound vs outbound?

mahdavi,

mahdavi wrote:

> Hi.
> (as I mentioned )
> Its Strange. I did not saw this matter that you said in RFC2401. there is no
> reason to look at SPD twice.

In RFC2401's terminology,
an "inbound" packet means a packet received on an interface,
an "outbound" packet means a packet sent on an interface.

I think you shouldn't use the terms "inbound" and "outbound" if you wish
to express another concept.

RFC2401, paragraph 4.4, states that "The SPD must be consulted during
the processing of all traffic (INBOUND and OUTBOUND), including
non-IPsec traffic." and also "Thus the administrative interface must
allow the user (or system administrator) to specify the security
processing to be applied to any packet entering or exiting the system,
on a packet by packet basis."

It results that the SPD is consulted twice for forwarded packets.

> do you think that we have two SPD for an ipsec system ? ( one for outbound
> and one for inbound !! ). but we just have one SPD per IPSEC system.

There are not necessarily two physically separate SPDs, but if you only
have one SPD, you should add the "direction (inbound/outbound)" info in
each entry.