Exporting symbols into linux kernel?

hi all
I have a problem. I am tampering the tcp/ip source code.
   In the /net/ipv4/ip_input.c file i want to call my function which is
defined in another .c file and declared in another .h file(declared as
extern function), and  I will include this .h file  in the ip_input.c.

But this doesn't work? Do i need to export symbols?
Do i have to make an entry in netsyms.c and what about /proc/kysms ??
Please tell me what should i do. I think exporting symbols might help. If
i need to export symbols, then how should i go about doing it.

Thanks for the help.
regards
puja

Puja Puri