Re: How many spd records ?

Mahdavi,

The answer to your question, well, you won't like the answer, because it
isn't black and white.  It literally depends on the application, there is
no set "right" number.

And anyway, I like Jim's question better, as it is more relevant for the
forum that is the ietf ipsec working group -- it doesn't just address one
individual implementation.

So, 4 billion records.....

Just for fun.....
OK, the first thing that springs to mind is that this requires a dynamic
decorrelation algorithm, even though the number of records will increase,
it guarantees that each policy (or SPD node) is unique (so no more need for
total ordering).  Now the policy or SPD database can be kept in a tree, or
series of trees.  Four billion is a lot, so even though I'd like to use a
splay tree (so that last node accessed will be at the root) the amount of
processing required to reorganize the tree suggests that this is not a good
way to go.  So, a fixed binary tree of some sort -- but also look at the
traffic patterns a system like this is likely to face, maybe cache the last
20 - 30 entries in a splay tree (depending on the variety of traffic at any
one time).  Or maybe it's simpler to keep it (the cache, not the entire
database) as a linked list and just push the last accessed node to the head
of the list and remove the tail.

Of course this relies on the thought that we don't have race conditions
accessing the database.  If we have multiple processors (or barrels)
processing packets simultaneously, then the single cache idea won't work
well, since access will have to be restricted to a single lookup at a time.
-- So, how about a cache per processor?  Make true database lookups
reentrant, so multiple accesses are allowed, but this suggest that adding
and removing entries from the table are going to require a semaphore to
halt lookups during addition or removals...

Ok, enough fun,  I guess I should get back to work.....

Steve

                    "mahdavi"
                    <mahdavi@sepahan.iu        To:     "James Tiller" <tiller@lucent.com>
                    t.ac.ir>                   cc:     "Derek Atkins" <warlord@mit.edu>, <ipsec@lists.tislabs.com>
                    Sent by:                   Subject:     Re: How many spd recrds ?
                    owner-ipsec@lists.t
                    islabs.com

                    09/20/01 08:47 AM

Hi dear James Tiller