RE: Why can't ESP authenticate IP header?

hello folks,

         can somebody point me to the discussion on securing the routing
updates with IPSec. it would be very interesting to follow up that
discussion. i think, nasty things like OSPF and RIPv2 are still being
worked on under the heading "IPSec multicast support".

thank you,
- pravin

At 09:47 AM 9/21/01 -0700, Bora Akyol wrote:
>Lokesh
>
>There are times when one only  needs authentication but not encryption. For
>example, routing protocol updates will be authenticated but not encrypted.
>Authentication for BGP, for example, would be a **good** thing (tm).
>
>AH fits the bill for this type of application whereas ESP would be overkill.
>Also, I am not sure how many ESP implementations include NULL encryption.
>
>Regards
>
>Bora

Pravin Kantak,                          http://www.intotoinc.com
Intoto Inc.                             voice : (408)844-0480 Ext 318
3160, De La Cruz Blvd, #100,            fax   : (408)844-0488
Santa Clara, CA - 95054