Re: Why can't ESP authenticate IP header?

 In your previous mail you wrote:

   The use of IPsec I referred to was precisely for point-to-point
  router authentication and integrity and is used in lieu of the TCP MD5
  checksum hack, since that hack is not cryptographically strong and
  since it lacks an automated key management protocol.

=> the main drawback of the MD5 checksum hack is that this doesn't
provide a defense against TCP RST attacks (or any attacks at layer 3).
IMHO now IPsec is available on routers so you should consider to switch
from MD5 checksum hacks to IPsec. We proposed this for IPv6 routers
(which are supposed to get IPsec with IPv6 :-): there was a proposal
to make AH mandatory for BGP in the 6-bone many years ago.

Thanks

Francis.Dupont@enst-bretagne.fr